Henry Tacy Clarke

1825-11-04, Kerikeri to 1902-01-01,

Baptised 17 Dec 1825.

Henry was educated at the Missionary School and completed his studies at the Kings School, Parramatta, near Sydney.

A plan of George Clarke's 'Claim at Waimate', surveyed by R.A. Fairburn in 1858, shows that Henry owned Section 2, consisting of 237 acres, and William owned Section 3 consisting of 237 acres. Two homes where built on these properties Prospect (1840) and one on William's section. In 1841 Henry rented the house to his aunt, Mrs Ludbrook, a widow, and her son, Samuel. Moved to Auckland with his father 1841. He was Temporary interpreter to Richmond (Land Commissioner) in 1843, permanent Interpreter in Protectorate Jan 1844. Henry accompanied George jr. and British troops to Ohaewai in 1845 to gather intelligance during the war. It was there he was wounded in the thigh, returned to Auckland to convalesce. Promoted to Protector Aug 1845. Henry lost his position as Protector in early 1846 when Grey got upset with George Snrs Final Report. he was offered several positions in September which he was unable to accept owing to his convalescence. Henry was living in Grove Cottage on the Clarke Estate in 1849.

On 28 April 1852, (in a joint wedding with William Clarke and Mary Anne Kemp) at Waimate married Sarah Yates Kemp, Born at Kerikeri, 21 Feb 1831.It is recorded in the Bay of Islands Elect Roll, that Henry Tacy was a farmer from 1853 to 1858. Both the Clarke boys with their Kemp wives lived at Prospect as William's house had been destroyed (presumed in the 1845s battle of Ohaewai, when a lot of homes were destroyed). Leaving his brother farming the two properties, he joined the civil service about 1858. In 1860 he was appointed Resident Magistrate at Tauranga, and Civil Commissioner in 1873.

In 1864 Henry Tacy Clarke was commissioner of native land court. In 1868, they moved out of Prospect and moved to Tauranga. Sarah died in 1876 in Kerikeri. The land that Rodmar sits on was owned by the CMS. They started selling their land in 1873.

After he was transferred to Wellington in 1874, when he was then promoted to Under-Secretary of the Native Department, later becoming Judge of the Native Land Court. (Subsequently succeeded George Clarke,) He successfully conducted a special commission to adjust the land claims of the Rotorua natives.

Sarah died at Kerikeri 11 April 1875.

(News paper article). HERALD Saturday, March 22 1879.

Mr. H.T Clarke late Native Secretary left for the Bay of Islands yesterday where we believe he will take up his residence permanently. Mr. Clarke is a Native of New Zealand his father having been one of the early missionaries and for many years Protector of aborigines. Mr. Clarke was attached to the troops in Heke's War as interpreter and was wounded in one of the engagements, which took place. He was for several years thereafter in the Government Service but left it and resided for several years at the Bay of Islands. He then again rejoined the Government Service and was appointed Resident Magistrate and Civil Commissioner at Tauranga. In this position he had a great deal of troublesome and dangerous work to undertake in the Tauranga and Rotorua Districts especially during the continuance of the Pirirakau outbreak. He continued at Tauranga for about 10 years and was transferred to Wellington to occupy the post of permanent head of the Native Department. This office he resigned a few months ago and on his retirement he received a handsome presentation from the officers of the department. Mr. Clarke in all the offices he has held has been highly esteemed by Europeans and Māoris. He had ever been desirous to secure the best interests of the native race. The best wishes of all who have known him follow him into his retirement.